Header image: Henri Lloyd in St Katharine Docks before the race start

At last!

Written 15 January 2014, at sea

The day of the Race Start arrived.  There was no trouble reporting to the boat at 7am. I had been sleeping on it, though most crew had found alternative accommodation for the couple of nights they were not at at sea.

We slipped moorings for a parade of sail down the Brisbane River and did a, apparently by now customary, turn round the OneDLL spectator boat.  Then it was out to sea for the refresher sail. This is normally the day before the race start but had been rearranged to allow four more of the boats to have their rudder bearings replaced. The other six will be done in Singapore.

The refresher sail took us through some of the basic manoeuvres to remind us and teach us how Eric likes us to do things now ie some small things had changed since the training.

The start was a Le Mans start, and not even the round-the-world crew had done this for real.  All the boats start in a line with just their mainsail up and the crew must put up the staysail and designated headsail at an appointed time.


Lining up for the Le Mans start

Then came the watch system and the seasickness.  For two days I was only really comfortable when horizontal in a bunk. This was despite wearing an anti-seasickness patch behind my ear that had been recommended by some of the returning crew from previous legs. I kept feeling better and getting up and trying to go on watch. Then this feeling would not last long enough to get properly dressed and put on a lifejacket so I’d be sent back to bed, given a bucket or both.

This morning though, day three, was a great watch. My first stint at sitting on the rail, then at helming. It stopped me from the thought that I’d paid to feel this bad. Now sitting here below decks writing this I don’t feel 100% but I reckon by tomorrow I’ll be fine. Now I want to go on deck and catch some photos while it’s still my off-watch.

© Anita Davies and http://anitasailsagain.com The blog post above first appeared on http://anitasailsagain.com, and is subject to copyright. If you can see this message it probably means that the content has been copied without permission, in violation of that copyright. To see this post within the context that was intended, please enter http://anitasailsagain.com into your browser.
Full copyright notice, as displayed on site: © Anita Davies and http://anitasailsagain.com, 2013. Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this blog’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Anita Davies and http://anitasailsagain.com with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
Creative Commons Licence
AnitaSailsAgain by Anita Davies is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-NoDerivs 3.0 Unported License.
Based on a work at https://anitasailsagain.com.

2 Comment

  1. louiselavender on 23 March 2014 at 12:01

    So you got over the sea-sickness then. Being on deck and feeling the wind must have been exhilarating.

    • bbllr87 on 24 March 2014 at 05:38

      It takes a few days to get over seasickness. And it helps if you have drugs that work!